George’s latest chemo and Team Erin Cross

Garden fun for Harriet and George
Garden fun for Harriet and George

With Wednesday’s five and a half hour treatment out of the way, we were pleasantly surprised that George returned home acting like his usual self – cheeky and wanting to play outside.  We’re still only a few days in from that treatment and know there’s still time that his counts can dip and he can get a temperature or any of the many other side effects.  Any initial sickness hasn’t happened though, just a tummy ache on Wednesday night – maybe the anti-sickness drugs did the trick?

Here is George and Harriet after George’s full day in hospital having chemotherapy on Wednesday this week.

Daddy did the hospital run that day and I stayed home with Oliver and Harriet to try to keep a bit of normality.  George was very brave having “Barry” accessed and just cracked on with his drip in all day.  He also bumped into Erin and her Daddy whilst in hospital and caught up on the latest fundraising to help get Erin to America for her life saving treatment to prepare her for a bone marrow transplant.  You may remember I posted early on when I started this blog about a family we met at The Joshua Tree when George was first diagnosed, that I’d felt relieved Damien had met another Dad he could chat to – sadly Erin has since relapsed and the family just found out their only hope for their little girl is to receive Car T Cell therapy to get her into a position to receive a bone marrow transplant.  On Wednesday I think the fundraising had only really just got into the swing of things and the £100,000 they needed seemed so far away.

Erin Cross
Erin Cross

Today, by the power of social media and the generosity of so many people, the target has been smashed and they are at almost £116,000.  I am elated.  For Erin, for her Mummy and Daddy, for all the people that love them and for all the people who donated – every one who donated is a hero in themselves.

Some people disagree with how much I put on my blog and social media, how much I share my thoughts and feelings about what our family are going through.  Without social media right now the outlook for Erin and children alike would not be such a positive one – this is because her family have put out there what is happening to their child, how they feel and opened up there hearts to anyone would listen.  I guarantee you would do the same if you had to walk in their shoes.  If anyone would like to add to their fund, as Erin’s trip to America for treatment is not likely to just be a one off, you can donate here.

George taking his oral chemo himself
George taking his oral chemo himself

George returned from hospital on Wednesday with a whole bag of goodies for the Macmillan nurses when they come to give him his daily chemo in “Barry” at home for the next four days.  George is also back on his mercaptopurine medicine (the one he calls his chocolate medicine) which is his chemotherapy we administer now for the next three years.  He also has anti-sickness and morphine to counter act the other side effects of cancer treatment.

Oliver chilling
Oliver chilling

We’ve been fortune enough over the past few days to enjoy some sun and high temperatures in the North West!  Our beautiful garden has been made the most of by all of us and the last few jobs are almost there.  The awning has been out in all it’s grey and yellow glory, protecting Georgie from the sun and protecting all of us from the odd rain shower – come on, it is Warrington after all.

This morning I noticed the wee George had in his potty looked a funny colour. We’d been told that bladder damage is a side effect of the Cyclophosphamide drug he’d had so had to take him straight in if there were any changes to his urine.

And so the comedy sketch of getting three reluctant kids dressed, a suitcase packed in case we were kept in and all out of the door as fast as possible began.  Luckily our volunteer from Home Start was here when I made the phone call to Alder Hey which meant she could at least prevent the kids from Homer-Simpson-strangling each other while I tried to get myself ready.

Olly and Imy’s Mummy, Nic, to the rescue again, where I dumped Oliver and Harriet on the door step and sped off with George.  I did have a pang in my chest en route and was a little upset for the older two children but was also thinking about these side effects for George and whether might lead to something serious.  However the kids had been made up with getting a play day with their friends and George had was happy to be going to hospital!?.

George and his nurse taking blood from Barry
George and his nurse

After having his obs taken, his pee tested and being checked over by Kev, the ANP who always makes George giggle, he was prescribed some antibiotics for a UTI (water infection) and had bloods taken to check if he needs a transfusion.  You can see him there in a photo casually perusing the Argos catalogue he likes to carry about with him!

We were allowed home by mid afternoon, though almost needed a snorkel or oars or something…. the storm that occurring in Liverpool was of apocalyptic measure.  The good old sperm whale (C4 Picasso) saw us through though and we made it back to collect the children and stayed to have a quick brew…. a quick brew that lasted about 4 hours that is when our friend also joined with her two!

Why say it in three words when you can say it 3000 though?  that’s my motto!

Lis x

1 Comment

  1. Hi gorgeous,

    You are an incredible woman nurturing a beautiful family and if telling your story helps you as much as you are helping other families with your whitty, emotional and inspiring honesty then keep at it. If others find it difficult they have the choice not to read.

    I send u and the whole family the biggest hugs and kisses xxx
    Claire x

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *